Sunday, March 7, 2010

Chicken Piccata with capers, portabella and baby spinach





I love Chicken Piccata. Back in the day I worked at the CCF (Cheesecake Factory), that's where I met my hubby, but that's another story. Anyhow, chicken piccata was one of their most popular dishes. What's not to like? It's lemony and oh sooo good. Of course their version is laden with tons of fat and calories (I know I don't count calories but I am very concious of them). Here's a much lighter version that's heavy in flavor!!

Ingredients

3 skinless and boneless chicken breasts, butterflied and then cut in half
Kosher salt (I only cook with Kosher salt) and freshly ground black pepper
All-purpose flour, for dredging
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (good quality EVOO)
juice from one lemon
1/2 cup chicken stock
1/2 cup white wine (I buy the 4 pack of Sauvignon Blanc in the wine aisle. That way I can use them as needed plus they aren't too bad for drinking when I'm desperate)
1/4 cup capers
1 package of rinsed baby bella mushrooms
1/2 bag of baby spinach
1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley is optional


Directions

Season chicken with salt and pepper. Dredge chicken in flour and shake off excess.

In a large skillet over medium high heat, melt 1 Tbsp of butter with 1 Tbsp of olive oil. When butter and oil start to sizzle, add 2 pieces of chicken and cook for 3 minutes. When chicken is browned, flip and cook on other side for additional 3 minutes. Remove and transfer to a covered plate. Add the other pieces of chicken and brown both sides in same manner. Remove pan from heat and add chicken to the plate.

Into the pan add remaining Tbsp of butter and olive oil, the lemon juice, stock, wine,capers and mushrooms. Return to stove and bring to boil, scraping up brown bits from the pan for extra flavor. Check for seasoning. Return all the chicken to the pan and simmer for 5 minutes throwing in spinach. Remove chicken to platter and pour sauce over chicken and garnish with parsley.

Serve with your favorite pasta al dente!!!

Buon Appetite,
Stephanie

1 comment: